RE: ocfs2/oracleasm on Red Hat 4

  • From: "Matthew Zito" <mzito@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <QuijadJC@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Guillermo Alan Bort" <cicciuxdba@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 May 2009 11:00:09 -0400

You don't technically *need* ASMlib for ASM environments, but it has some
definite advantages:

- guaranteed consistent disk naming across multiple nodes
- no need to worry about a SAN admin changing something that screws up your
disk ordering
- Automatically setting permissions for the disk devices

As far as the available version, you could try opening an SR with Oracle and
asking them to compile the drivers for you - I had to do that once for a
customer who had to run a custom RHEL kernel due to a driver bug that was
discovered.

Matt