Re: ocfs2/oracleasm on Red Hat 4

  • From: "Matthew Zito" <mzito@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "dave" <david.best@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 May 2009 16:06:13 -0400

Sure, and I'm specifically referring to the os, not the database. These days, with oracle, the primary goal is to get the os out of the way as much as possible (see: asm, dnfs, rdp), and hence there's usually not a load of new features you get out of the db by upgrading the os.

The os vendors themselves have crazy-long support lifecycle. For example solaris 8 is either just out of support or about to be desulported. It was released in 1998.

This doesn't mean one should willfully keep deploying new systems on old operating systems, but it does mean you're more likely to want to upgrade the database before you need to upgrade the os.

Thanks,
Matt

On May 28, 2009, at 3:39 PM, "dave" <david.best@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Thu, May 28, 2009 at 1:04 PM, Matthew Zito <mzito@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I'm a fan of the, "If it ain't broke..." model of doing things.
> Periodic updates are fine, but coordinated appropriately, and with

At some point you'll have to upgrade or buy extended support.   In
every place i've worked when management was given the choice of
spending money for support or upgrading, they chose to upgrade. ;)