Re: major blunders

  • From: Connor McDonald <mcdonald.connor@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 10 Oct 2009 11:58:02 +0800

On Sat, Oct 10, 2009 at 2:19 AM, Jared Still <jkstill@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Every little bit helps.
> Using rm * has already been dismissed as a bad idea,
> so it would seem that rm somedir/* would also be a questionable
> practice.
>
> If there's a way to screw up, all of will find it at some point.
>
> The idea is to mitigate the risk as much as possible.
>

> Jared Still
> Oracle Blog: http://jkstill.blogspot.com
> Home Page: http://jaredstill.com
>

> On Fri, Oct 9, 2009 at 10:57 AM, Aaron Leonard <aachleon@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> I'd be very wary of relying on that.  It doesn't account for when you are
>> not in the directory which contain the files your are deleting.
>>
>> oracle:~/adl/tmp> for i in 1 2 3 4 5 6 7; do echo 1 > file$i; done
>> oracle:~/adl/tmp> touch -- -i
>> oracle:~/adl/tmp> rm -f *
>> rm: remove regular file `file1'?
>> oracle:~/adl/tmp> rm -f *
>> rm: remove regular file `file1'? n
>> rm: remove regular file `file2'? n
>> rm: remove regular file `file3'? n
>> rm: remove regular file `file4'? n
>> rm: remove regular file `file5'? n
>> rm: remove regular file `file6'? n
>> rm: remove regular file `file7'? n
>> oracle:~/adl/tmp> n
>> bash: n: command not found
>> oracle:~/adl/tmp> cd ..
>> oracle:~/adl> rm -f tmp/*
>> oracle:~/adl> ls -l tmp
>> total 0
>> oracle:~/adl>

>>> A trick to avoid accidentally deleting files you would rather keep.
>>>
>>> Create a file called '-i' in key directories.  This will force rm -f to
>>> go into interactive
>>> mode, as the '-i' filename is interpreted as an argument.
>>>
>>> Create '-i' file:  touch -- -i
>>>
>>> The double dash is used to tell rm (or any other *nix command) that the
>>> following stuff on the command line is not a command line option.
>>>
>>> Remove the file:  rm -- -i
>>>
>>> Create a tmp directory, copy a few files into it, and try it.
>>>
>>> It has saved me at least once.
>>>

>>> Jared Still
>>> Certifiable Oracle DBA and Part Time Perl Evangelist
>>> Oracle Blog: http://jkstill.blogspot.com
>>> Home Page: http://jaredstill.com

I've already posted this in the past, but I love the approach taken at a
client I once worked at.  All production servers had a naming scheme of:
bfc"digits"
When I asked what "bfc" stood for... it was "be f...ing careful".  They had
adopted it in all seriousness because it

a) made you pause for a chuckle every time you saw it
b) that pause impressed the seriousness of the situation to you

--
Connor McDonald

"Semper in excremento, sole profundum qui variat"