RE: major blunders

  • From: "Hostetter, Jay M" <JHostetter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Oct 2009 09:43:38 -0400

When I have to leave a window that is for a session in a production
system (either database or OS), I'll type "production" at the command
line.  If I accidentally paste something back into that window, it will
cause a syntax error.  Yes, I have the prompt (sqlplus or OS) changed as
well, but there are times when you can come back to the wrong window,
get careless or "rammy", etc.  It's just an extra precaution that I
take.  I learned this lesson when I was setting up a standby database.

Other precautions:

-         Rename a file or directory before deleting it.  Leave it in
place (renamed) for a day or two if possible.

-         When I need to delete a datafile, I like to force a checkpoint
then check the timestamp on that datafile.

Jay

**DISCLAIMER
This e-mail message and any files transmitted with it are intended for the use
of the individual or entity to which they are addressed and may contain
information that is privileged, proprietary and confidential. If you are not
the intended recipient, you may not use, copy or disclose to anyone the message
or any information contained in the message. If you have received this
communication in error, please notify the sender and delete this e-mail
message. The contents do not represent the opinion of D&E except to the extent
that it relates to their official business.