Re: Why an organization would need an enterprise DB team

  • From: Phil Singer <psinger1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2007 21:10:44 -0400

EPA wrote:
Hi guys,
I guess I was not enough clear. The coming re-org wants to separate the DBAs
between 1) operational (backup, recovery, upgrade...) and 2) application
(logical design, physical design,...) and move the 2nd group to application
services team. This means they will report and follow AS managers/directors.
And I would like to proof and keep them in one group.

I don't have any doubt about having DBA competency in development team, what
I am looking is the cons if we separate the team and pros if we keep them
together.
Thanks again,

Estifan Panosian

11:27 AM

12:12 PM

The company I work at does this (actually goes even further). I think it's a bad idea, although I don't have any reasons that would make sense to a management type.

The reason I don't like it is that it has led to the "central" DBAs (the ones who doe the backup/recovery/operational tasks) becoming very isolated from the actual applications, so they don't know the details of how they are supposed to work. As a consequence, all Oracle Instances have to be very plain vanilla (or else they won't know what is going on).

Meanwhile, the application DBAs are unable to have the DBA role (since those tasks are reserved for the real DBAs). So there is very little experimentation going on. Sort of like Oracle evolution stopped with release 7.3.4.