RE: Why an organization would need an enterprise DB team

  • From: <Jay.Miller@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2007 15:52:26 -0400

The split can work, but it's tricky.  IMO, the worst set up is where
there is no one with DBA knowledge working with the developers.  We had
previous management that tried to enforce that, it ended up with me
giving advice and help under the table but a lot of bad design coming
through that I had no power to stop.

For the split to work, there must be strong communication at all times
between the operational and application DBAs (at which point why not
just have them in the same group?).  We have just had this split and the
battle we're fighting is that we don't hear about anything until it's
ready to go into production.  We get emails like, "Project X is ready to
go into production, please have the database ready for us tomorrow."

Our response is, "What is project X?  What are the servers?  Is there a
DR requirement?  What is the size, what is the expected growth, and
incidentally the firewall ports aren't opened for us to access the
server so you're going to have to wait a lot longer than 'tomorrow'."

Jay Miller