Re: Why an organization would need an enterprise DB team

  • From: "Jared Still" <jkstill@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Robert Freeman" <robertgfreeman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 13:18:17 -0700

On 3/19/07, Robert Freeman <robertgfreeman@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Same thing with DBA's. For example, when I came here I
didn't know a thing about Hibernate, our persistance
layer. I took a couple of days, installed it, played
with the demos and read a couple of books and numbers
of web sites over a couple of weeks (ok... I
skimmed!). Am I a Hibernate expert? Nope. Do I
understand something about Hibernate and how it works
as a persistence layer? You bet. Do I understand the
developers when they talk to me about Hibernate? Yes.

I attended a 2 hour Hotsos session on Web Development
for the same reasons.  I won't be writing code to fit the
Model-View-Control model, but now at least I can converse
with people that do write the code.

No need to be an expert as Robert said, you just need to have
understanding of the basics.

--
Jared Still