Re: VMWARE's virtualization and processor licensing

  • From: Tim Hall <tim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: William.Blanchard@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2010 01:31:57 +0100

Hi.

Just a little clarification. Oracle VM performs soft partitioning by
default, so if you use the default action you must license all
CPUs/cores on the server for Oracle products.

Unlike VMware, Oracle VM will allow you to hard partition, allowing
you to license a subset of the CPUs/cores. See:

http://wiki.oracle.com/page/Hard+partitioning

The moral of this story is, make sure you are using Oracle VM
properly, or uncle Larry may come knocking at your door with an
unexpected bill. :)

Cheers

Tim...