RE: VMWARE's virtualization and processor licensing

  • From: "Blanchard, William G" <William.Blanchard@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jpiwowar@xxxxxxxxx>, <JBECKSTROM@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2010 17:03:25 -0500

The difference is hardware vs software.  Just like with domains, if it's
a hard partition you only have to license the cpus on the hard
partition.  Oracle VM lies between the hardware and software and is
built on Xen.  VMWare is software and even if you specify that you only
want it to use 4 cpus, it really has access to all 8.  Xen on the other
hand segregates the cpus just like a hard partition.  It'll be
interesting to see if they allow Oracle to be run on VirtualBox.

My $0.02.

WGB

On 2010-10-26, at 7:55 AM, "Jeffrey Beckstrom" <JBECKSTROM@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> I am seeking information on VMWAREs virtualization software and how it
impacts processor licensing for Oracle.  Any information would be
appreciated.

> Jeffrey Beckstrom
> Database Administrator
> Greater Cleveland Regional Transit Authority
> 1240 W. 6th Street
> Cleveland, Ohio 44113

The information contained in this message is proprietary and/or confidential.
If you are not the intended recipient, please: (i) delete the message and all
copies; (ii) do not disclose, distribute or use the message in any manner; and
(iii) notify the sender immediately. In addition, please be aware that any
message addressed to our domain is subject to archiving and review by persons
other than the intended recipient. Thank you.