Re: V$ views in transactions

  • From: ryan_gaffuri@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: joshic@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 15:28:04 +0000

Typically when someone goes 'never' its an over simplification and is often
wrong. The only time I say 'never' is when I talk to a non-technical person or
someone without database skills, since its too much info to explain the
details. Most people who say 'never' to other professionals with the same
skillset typically don't know that much and when pressed do not know the
details of 'why'. So there opinion is often not trustworthy. It's one of those
red-herrings that sets off alarms for me.
People don't include v$views in stuff like this because if you do it alot, it
hurts performance. Sounds like you are including it as part of a statspack
routine that runs what 3 times a day? It shouldn't be a problem.

Its not uncommon to want to capture v$data statically for later analysis. Just
don't run it out of a loop or on-demand. Periodic uses are perfectly
reasonable.