V$ views in transactions

Dear all,

Version 9.2.0.3
OS: Solaris 8

I have written a tiny stored procedure which does a SELECT from v$sql and
v$sql_workarea and INSERTs into local tables. The reason for doing this is
that STATSPACK does not take snapshot of v$sql_workarea table, and I thought
this information would be useful to accurately calculate values for
SORT_AREA_SIZE and HASH_AREA_SIZE.

But I remembered having been told by a DBA never to include v$ tables as
part of any transaction. This makes sense as well. The question is:

-- Is it absolutely unwise and not recommended to create such a procedure as
I have? Is there any workaround?
-- How does STATSPACK collect data from V$ tables, if not through
INSERT..SELECT.. COMMIT like transaction?

Many thanks & regards,
Charu.

Disclaimer:

is strictly prohibited.