RE: V$ views in transactions

  • From: "Charu Joshi" <joshic@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2004 15:55:13 +0530

Thanks Ryan, I have setup the job.

Regards,
Charu.

-----Original Message-----
From: oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of
ryan_gaffuri@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Tuesday, October 12, 2004 8:58 PM
To: joshic@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx; oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: Charu Joshi
Subject: Re: V$ views in transactions

Typically when someone goes 'never' its an over simplification and is often
wrong. The only time I say 'never' is when I talk to a non-technical person
or someone without database skills, since its too much info to explain the
details. Most people who say 'never' to other professionals with the same
skillset typically don't know that much and when pressed do not know the
details of 'why'. So there opinion is often not trustworthy. It's one of
those red-herrings that sets off alarms for me.
People don't include v$views in stuff like this because if you do it alot,
it hurts performance. Sounds like you are including it as part of a
statspack routine that runs what 3 times a day? It shouldn't be a problem.

Its not uncommon to want to capture v$data statically for later analysis.
Just don't run it out of a loop or on-demand. Periodic uses are perfectly
reasonable.

> Dear all,
>
> Version 9.2.0.3
> OS: Solaris 8
>
> I have written a tiny stored procedure which does a SELECT from v$sql and
> v$sql_workarea and INSERTs into local tables. The reason for doing this is
> that STATSPACK does not take snapshot of v$sql_workarea table, and I
thought
> this information would be useful to accurately calculate values for
> SORT_AREA_SIZE and HASH_AREA_SIZE.

Disclaimer:

is strictly prohibited.

Visit us at http://www.mahindrabt.com