Re: Slightly-OT: Throw HW at a SW/DB problem

  • From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rjoralist2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2011 16:21:35 +0100

I'm not sure how many people are advocating hardware based tuning - but I do
have *some *sympathy with what the guy is saying. We don't get to see what
the tuning process was, but a quick triage might go along the lines of

"this problem workload currently does 10 million I/Os at 10ms each on
average, that takes nearly all the 30 minutes elapsed time. If we hire an
external guy at $1500 a day for a week then we think we can probably reduce
that by half and understand our application better. Or we could pay $5000
for an SSD device and reduce the time taken by 80%."

Now obviously my numbers might be off, but I suspect they aren't off by
enough to void the point that sometimes hardware outperforms expertise. The
problem is of course all those times where the hardware doesn't out perform
expertise.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA