Re: Slightly-OT: Throw HW at a SW/DB problem

Jonathan replies to Norm:

> The other aspect of "tuning" by throwing hardware at it is that there is
> (obviously, I hope) a correct amount of hardware for any given application
> (even
> when it's perfectly designed and coded). So if the hardware supplied is less
> than the correct amount then adding hardware IS the correct solution.  I've
> only
> seen this error a couple of times in 25 years, though.

One of the draws for me to my current job was the investment in the hardware
infrastructure.  Management actually sees the benefit of having properly
sized servers (with an IT group that is able to demonstratively justify the
expenditure of course!).  It's a wonderful thing.

In the past 4+ years, I've been able to identify several
application/database performance issues and work with our devs/analysts to
correct them.  And at least here, I can *prove* that those software changes
improved performance orders of magnitude over any viable hardware, using a
little Method-R?.

I'd really like to know more about the SQueaL Server/SSD scenario, but it
sure smells of a scalability issue that would have eventually caught up with
the fancy dancy new hardware.  And those performance problems only get
compounded as future software changes and additions get
integrated/entangled.

And, yes, I do have a wonderfully fast SSD on my server at home.  :)

Rich

p.s.  Management has denied my request for a "K Computer" like at RIKEN.