Re: Slightly-OT: Throw HW at a SW/DB problem

  • From: Robert Freeman <robertgfreeman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dbvision@xxxxxxxxxxxx, oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2011 07:45:00 -0700 (PDT)

>> Isn't that the whole point of Exadata/logic as it is being promoted nowadays?
>> (the first one to reply with "Exa-whatever is a lot more than just hardware"
>>gets the dumbass award of the year...)
The following represents my opinion and in no way represents the opinion of
Oracle Corporation......

Wow, now that's just a pretty tough statement to make. Exadata IS more than
just
hardware. Try getting HCC to work in your non-exadata database Nuno.... Try
offloading your SQL Queries to your (essentially) federated storage for
parallel
processing at the storage level... Granted, Exadata is some big iron, but it's
big iron with a purpose beyond trying to make a slow application faster. Sure,
the upshot of the whole hardware and software combination is that it DOES so.
The point is that with respect to things like consolidation, reducing costs
(ie:
electricity, cooling, footprint), the cloud, hardware refreshes, etc....
Exadata
is a compelling story. When you are looking at "big data" and you look at
competitors in the massive data market, Exadata can do the same work with fewer
machines, at a cheaper overall price.

The point is that we are not promoting Exadata as a hardware fix for bad code
(though by default it becomes that and we do say it will make your database run
faster). We promote it for a number of reasons beyond that. At the end of the
day, the preference would still be to actually fix the bad code even on the
Exa*
platform. But.... when you have a 10 or 20 year investment in your legacy code,
and the performance problem has occurred slowly, over time, due to increasing
data volumes and increasing concurrency, then there needs to be solutions that
are short term and longer term. Your not going to fix legacy code in an
instant,
and you can't wait around for reports to run over the next 48 hours. If you
have
a vendor who writes their code in some other database and then "ports" it over
and it performs poorly in Oracle and the vendor does not really have Oracle
resources to throw at the problem, just what are you going to do (yes yes,
profiles and all that, I know).

I've seen more than one case where the legacy code pre-exa* had become so slow
over time that it was becoming impossible for the business to actually run.
Reports were not completing, etc... Put it on Exa* and now all of a sudden a 48
hour process completes in less than an hour. Now, one might say that there was
some lack of foresight (they didn't see and plan for the data volumes) but so
what? Do you stop business for two years for a major rewrite, schema
re-architect? Do you stop business for 2 years so you can impliment something
else? How many solutions are truly "one-shot" solutions that fix everything?
What about the simple growth in concurrency that was not foreseen 10 years ago?
Do we stop the business for a couple of years to re-architect the whole thing
so
it can handle 1000 concurrent users rather than the 200 planned for? How much
will that cost and how long will it take?

Exadata has a lot of stories out there, and the problem of "fixing the code"
seems to have gotten this Voldermort like mysticism and heaven help anyone who
objects to the notion that there may be other reasons that more hardware is
appropriate......

The day that you can collect all the CERN data from one collier experiment
running Oracle on my laptop is the day that I will accept that hardware is not
sometimes (even often) a viable solution to a specific problem.

So now, you may award me the dumbass of the year award......

 Robert G. Freeman
Master Principal Consultant, Oracle Corporation, Oracle ACE
Author of various books on RMAN, New Features and this shorter signature line.

Note: THIS EMAIL IS NOT AN OFFICIAL ORACLE SUPPORT COMMUNICATION. It is just
the
opinion of one Oracle employee. I can be wrong, have been wrong in the past and
will be wrong in the future. If your problem is a critical production problem,
you should always contact Oracle support for assistance. Statements in this
email in no way represent Oracle Corporation or any subsidiaries and reflect
only the opinion of the author of this email.