RE: RMAN - Local vs. central backup script

  • From: "Marquez, Chris" <CMarquez@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <DWILLIAMS@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Oracle-L" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2005 23:50:52 -0500

Dennis,

I strongly recommend, one (RMAN) server, one RMAN 9i catalog, one RMAN =
9i shell script, and one long tnsnames.ora file.
simply, I say centralize whenever possible.

I created on parameterized RMAN shell script to backup both 9i or 9i-RAC =
databases.
My master RMAN script generated individual database backup log files on =
the RMAN server.

I will say that life is much easier if all of your (target) database =
servers have similar or identical file systems, because even though the =
RMAN executable is executed locally, using SQL*Net to connect to the =
target database, the backups are always local to the target server...and =
my RMAN backup includes numerous local dumps of contrilfiels, spfile, =
etc.

Do what works for your environment, but let me say I started =
DE-centralized and shortly after reconfigured for a centralized =
configuration.

Chris Marquez
Oracle DBA
HEYMONitor=99 - heymonitor.com