RE: RMAN - Local vs. central backup script

  • From: DENNIS WILLIAMS <DWILLIAMS@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2005 10:36:39 -0600

Thanks everyone for sharing your views on this topic. After reviewing the
advantages of each configuration, it looks like we will initially go with
scripts that are local to target server. We are backing up to disk, and
using image copies for cold backups. We are also looking at online image
file copies in the future. It seems 10g is enhancing the imagefile copy
capability.
   When I mentioned where the executable runs, I mis-spoke (thanks Mladen),
and really should have mentioned the RMAN Client Compatibility. In the 10g
documentation there is a compatibility discussion of the RMAN client
versions. My understanding is that with a local script, the local RMAN
client is used, so there should be no compatibility issues. We have also
found character set issues that we feel are due to using a remote client.

Again, thanks everyone for your input.

Dennis Williams
DBA
Lifetouch, Inc.