RE: Oracle ventures into the O/S market.....?

  • From: "Kevin Closson" <kevinc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2006 09:47:33 -0700

>>>Yes, because Oracle relied on the existence of such in the
>>>real OS environments it ran on.  As opposed to the sad joke
>>>Windoze was at the time.  This however has changed.  If
>>>anything, the "multi-threaded" servers of those databases -
>>>which never were such, just simple time-sharing round-robbin
>>>threads -

Oh boy. Something tells me you haven't had your hands in the
Informix DSA code as much as I have. The threads scheduler in
that database server was anything BUT "simple time-sharing
round-robin threads". It was a brilliant database-smart scheduler
and as long as it ran on a good OS, you very seldon saw more than
5% of your processor cycles lost to kernel mode...and that
even at extremely high IO rates.