Re: Oracle on Windows 2000 AS with /3GB flag

  • From: "Yavor Ivanov" <Yavor_Ivanov@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: wjwagman@xxxxxxxxxxx, Brandon.Allen@xxxxxxxxxxx, saints.richard@xxxxxxxxx, oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2007 17:56:24 +0300

        The switch is no relevant to 64 bit platforms.
        On 32 bit platforms, any process can address 4 GB memory (this is 2^32
bytes), but has the right to use only the lower 2 GB (minus some kylobytes at
the start and the end, for boundery checking). The upper 2 GB are reserved for
the OS.
        The the /3GB switch changes this ratio to 3 GB user addressable space
and 1 GB for the OS. This is address space per process, no actually consumed
memory - even Notepad has the same address space, private for it's process.
        I have used this switch on many servers without any issue.
        On 64 bit platforms any process can address much more memory. So the
switch does not work - it is not needed.

--
Regards,
Yavor Ivanov