Oracle on Windows 2000 AS with /3GB flag

  • From: "Richard Saints" <saints.richard@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2007 22:38:15 +0100

Hello to you all,
I'm planning to activate the /3GB flag on a Windows server running Oracle
Database, in order to extend the memory that can be used by Oracle.
The server has the following characteristics:

HP Proliant DL380

2 x Pentium Xeon 3,2 GHz

4 GB of RAM

HP Smart Array SCSI controller

2x36GB SCSI RAID 1 internal discs with 2 logical drives:

C drive for OS

D drive for Logs

4x146 GB SCSI RAID 5 internal discs with 1 logical drive:

F drive for data
Paging size on C drive (2048-4096)
SO: Windows 2000 Advanced Server SP4
The Oracle SGA Target is 1336 MB

I would like to know if there is any special care that I should take, before
I activate this flag on boot.ini.

I read the Oracle Documentation, but I didn't found any particular aspect.

I'm asking this because I had a bad experience with a test server where with
the /3G flag was activated and the Oracle instance didn't startup. I still
haven't figured out why.

Thanks for all your attention.

Best Regards,
Ricardo.