Re: Oracle on Windows 2000 AS with /3GB flag

  • From: kathy duret <katpopins21@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2007 09:31:09 -0700 (PDT)

Check Metalink.  You will find all sorts of docs on /3G
  I am surprised to hear it didn't work on the test system.

  Watch out for hyperthreading on cpus.  This affects alot of hidden parameters.
  I had to take off the auto sga and decrease my sga target quite a bit.

  No not applicable on 64 bit Windows.

  I did have issues with /PAE switch and performance.

  --- Shamless self promotion....
  You might want to check out my article on turning my windows woes into wow
article
  on Metalink.  I had alot of Windows issues I needed to work through.

  I am working with Orakill now to kill session vs using alter session kill.
  I found on windows killing sessions didn't always work and orakill does.
  I will add my orakill info to my article next week hopefully.

  Kathy

Richard Saints <saints.richard@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

  Hello to you all,
  I'm planning to activate the /3GB flag on a Windows server running Oracle
Database, in order to extend the memory that can be used by Oracle.
  The server has the following characteristics:
  HP Proliant DL380
  2 x Pentium Xeon 3,2 GHz
  4 GB of RAM
  HP Smart Array SCSI controller
  2x36GB SCSI RAID 1 internal discs with 2 logical drives:
  C drive for OS
  D drive for Logs
  4x146 GB SCSI RAID 5 internal discs with 1 logical drive:
  F drive for data
  Paging size on C drive (2048-4096)
  SO: Windows 2000 Advanced Server SP4
  The Oracle SGA Target is 1336 MB

  I would like to know if there is any special care that I should take, before
I activate this flag on boot.ini.
  I read the Oracle Documentation, but I didn't found any particular aspect.

  I'm asking this because I had a bad experience with a test server where with
the /3G flag was activated and the Oracle instance didn't startup. I still
haven't figured out why.

  Thanks for all your attention.

  Best Regards,
  Ricardo.