Re: Oracle on Windows 2000 AS with /3GB flag

  • From: "Richard Saints" <saints.richard@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2007 23:13:40 +0100

Hi Kathy,
thanks for your feedback.

What do you mean by "Watch out for hyperthreading on cpus" ?
The test system that failed to start the database has 2 CPUs on
hyperthreading mode.

I was planning to activate /3GB because I want to increase the value
allocated to the SGA (currently 1336MB). And I would like to continue to use
ASMM (Automatic Shared Memory Management).

I started to read your metalink article and I had a feeling of "deja-vu".

Thanks.
I also would like to thank everyone of the list who gave me some feedback.

Best Regards,
Ricardo.

On 7/17/07, kathy duret <katpopins21@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Check Metalink.  You will find all sorts of docs on /3G
I am surprised to hear it didn't work on the test system.

Watch out for hyperthreading on cpus.  This affects alot of hidden
parameters.
I had to take off the auto sga and decrease my sga target quite a bit.

No not applicable on 64 bit Windows.

I did have issues with /PAE switch and performance.

--- Shamless self promotion....
You might want to check out my article on turning my windows woes into wow
article
on Metalink.  I had alot of Windows issues I needed to work through.

I am working with Orakill now to kill session vs using alter session kill.

I found on windows killing sessions didn't always work and orakill does.
I will add my orakill info to my article next week hopefully.

Kathy

*Richard Saints <saints.richard@xxxxxxxxx>* wrote:

Hello to you all,
I'm planning to activate the /3GB flag on a Windows server running Oracle
Database, in order to extend the memory that can be used by Oracle.
The server has the following characteristics:
HP Proliant DL380
2 x Pentium Xeon 3,2 GHz
4 GB of RAM
HP Smart Array SCSI controller
2x36GB SCSI RAID 1 internal discs with 2 logical drives:
C drive for OS
D drive for Logs
4x146 GB SCSI RAID 5 internal discs with 1 logical drive:
F drive for data
Paging size on C drive (2048-4096)
SO: Windows 2000 Advanced Server SP4
The Oracle SGA Target is 1336 MB

I would like to know if there is any special care that I should take,
before I activate this flag on boot.ini.
I read the Oracle Documentation, but I didn't found any particular aspect.

I'm asking this because I had a bad experience with a test server where
with the /3G flag was activated and the Oracle instance didn't startup. I
still haven't figured out why.

Thanks for all your attention.

Best Regards,
Ricardo.

Boardwalk for $500? In 2007? Ha!
Play Monopoly Here and
Now<http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=48223/*http://get.games.yahoo.com/proddesc?gamekey=monopolyherenow>(it's
 updated for today's economy) at Yahoo! Games.