RE: Oracle license requirements for unused options

  • From: "Chitale, Hemant Krishnarao" <Hemant.Chitale@xxxxxx>
  • To: <rjoralist2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2011 14:50:28 +0800

Note the Optimizer Group's Blog Post :

http://blogs.oracle.com/optimizer/entry/does_the_use_of_sql

I can understand the
"No additional licenses are needed to use SQL Plan Management (SPM) or any of
the procedures in the DBMS_SPM package. SPM is available as part of Oracle
Database Enterprise Edition 11g."

But then :
"Tuning Pack includes "Automatic Plan Evolution of SQL Plan Management". What
this is actually referring to is the interaction between the SQL Tune Advisor's
nightly tuning task and SPM. This interaction does require you to have a
license to use the Tuning pack."
Followed by
"In Oracle Database 11g, the SQL Tuning Advisor, runs automatically during the
maintenance window."

If it is *automatic*, it would automatically require the Tuning Pack by virtue
of it running "automagically".

So, should every DBA be advised to disable the default behaviour ?

Hemant K Chitale