RE: Oracle license requirements for unused options

  • From: "Dunbar, Norman (Capgemini)" <norman.dunbar.capgemini@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Jay.Miller@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 May 2011 15:51:59 +0100

>> Can anyone point me to any official documentation that says
>> that if you have a feature (such as Oracle Partitioning or
>> OLAP) installed but do not use it that you do not have to
>> purchase a license?
Oh God!!!!!!!!!!
Been there, suffered!

>> On earlier Oracle audits they told us that was definitely
>> the case but currently our Oracle rep is refusing to answer
>> the question so we want to be absolutely certain.
Basically the Oracle docs for licensing, somewhere around page 37, on
the PDF file found only online, down the stair, in the dark, guarded by
starving leopards etc, says:

you must pay for any options INSTALLED whether used or not.

The installation notes (used to) say that "by default all options are
installed but you must purchase a license for the options you use."

I suffered an Oracle Audit some time back where the obscure document on
the web took preference over the installation notes. So, yes, if you
install an option, you need to pay for it I'm afraid.

This means, however, that you must beware of upgrading 10.2. I did one
of these from (I think) 10.2.0.1 to 10.2.0.3 and all the options I had
requested not be installed when the base release went in were silently
re-installed (or re-enabled) by the patching process. That implies that
from that point onwards I was in breach of the licensing terms!

Good luck!

Cheers,
Norm.

PS. The above has nothing to do with my current contract site by the
way, unlike the disclaimer that is about to follow ...

Information in this message may be confidential and may be legally privileged.
If you have received this message by mistake, please notify the sender
immediately, delete it and do not copy it to anyone else.

We have checked this email and its attachments for viruses. But you should
still check any attachment before opening it.
We may have to make this message and any reply to it public if asked to under
the Freedom of Information Act, Data Protection Act or for litigation.  Email
messages and attachments sent to or from any Environment Agency address may
also be accessed by someone other than the sender or recipient, for business
purposes.

If we have sent you information and you wish to use it please read our terms
and conditions which you can get by calling us on 08708 506 506.  Find out more
about the Environment Agency at www.environment-agency.gov.uk