RE: Oracle license requirements for unused options

  • From: "Allen, Brandon" <Brandon.Allen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Dunbar, Norman (Capgemini)" <norman.dunbar.capgemini@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Jay.Miller@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <Jay.Miller@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 May 2011 10:46:56 -0700

I'm still not convinced that a license is required for unused options.  I think
there is a key distinction between the documentation that mentions licensing
based on usage and those that mention licensing based on installation.  My
interpretation is as follows:

*         installation-based licensing - only pertains to the main database
server software, e.g. "Oracle Database SE/EE" must be licensed for all
processors on the host where it is installed

*         usage-based licensing - only pertains to specific pieces of add-on
functionality such as the extra options (e.g. Partitioning) and management
packs (e.g. Diagnostics Pack).

I'm not positive if that's correct, so don't take my word for it, but
everything I've read so far seems to be pretty consistent on those two points.

Regards,

Brandon