Oracle Streams

  • From: Peter Barnett <regdba@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Oracle-l <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2012 07:48:39 -0800 (PST)

We are looking at keeping a remote database at a vendor site updated.  Timing
is not terribly critical since one of the options is running a batch ETL job on
a daily basis.

Another option is to use Oracle Streams.  Our previous experience with this
product has not been very positive but that has been several years ago.  It was
high maintenance for the DBA and we had a problem on the target server
maintaining RI without disabling a lot of triggers.

Given the choices, has Streams improved enough to reconsider it?

Pete Barnett
Database Technologies Lead
Cambia Health Solutions
peter.barnett@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx