Re: Oracle RAC on Win vs. Oracle on Linux

  • From: Guillermo Alan Bort <cicciuxdba@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: development@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2010 10:23:15 -0200

Well, I've had some very bad experiences with RAC + Windows. Granted, it was
a 9i RAC on Win2k, so that could have been part of the problem. That
database has been since moved to AIX and it works perfectly. A point to keep
in mind is that EVERYTHING is more difficult on Windows. From setting up RAC
to troubleshooting, to the ever so annoying SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES.

Another issue that I think needs addressing is that Windows is a DESKTOP
Operating system, and as such is rather good (I'd say the best out there).
However, when it comes to servers user friendlyness takes a step back and
ease of troubleshooting and the fact that you can have a decent uptime come
into consideration.

I'd use Oracle on Windows for a small database... but if the DB requires a
certain uptime that merits the use of RAC... then I'd definetley go to AIX
or Linux.

hth
Alan.-