RE: Oracle RAC on Win vs. Oracle on Linux

  • From: "Goulet, Richard" <Richard.Goulet@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rafiq9857@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "Robert Freeman" <robertgfreeman@xxxxxxxxx>, "oracle list" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2010 21:02:38 -0500

Rafiq,

    As I'm working in one of the premier (top 10) trials companies to
the pharma community we are moving all our databases/applications off of
Windows for Unix based operating systems.  These are validated, no
problem.  Windows has two basic problems, memory and processes.  Without
a start up switch your limited to 3GB total memory for Oracle, with the
switch you can have another gb, but it uses memory context switches
which are a performance killer.  The second is that Oracle on Windows is
multithreaded within a single executable where as Unix based systems
have multiple processes again limiting capacity.  Our windows based
databases are a real pain in the shorts, they are constantly hitting
that "blue screen of death" at least once a week.  As it is after 1 June
we will no longer support or validate a Windows database.

Dick Goulet
Senior Oracle DBA/NA Team Lead
PAREXEL International

________________________________

Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2010 15:05:10 -0800
From: robertgfreeman@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: Oracle RAC on Win vs. Oracle on Linux
To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Anyone want to jump in on their preferred platform for RAC? Personally I
tend to lean towards Linux for stability purposes, but I'd like your
thoughts on why you prefer either platform for RAC. Specifically why
would you avoid windows (other than the fact that it's evil), or would
you?

RF

Robert G. Freeman
Master Principle Consultant, Oracle Corporation
Oracle ACE
Author:
Oracle Database 11g RMAN Backup and Recovery (Oracle Press) - ON ITS WAY
SOON!
OCP: Oracle Database 11g Administrator Certified Professional Study
Guide (Sybex)
Other various titles
<http://robertgfreeman.blogspot.com/>

<http://clk.atdmt.com/GBL/go/201469230/direct/01/>