Re: Oracle Enterprise Manager and the 4K block size

  • From: Andrew Kerber <andrew.kerber@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: norman.dunbar.capgemini@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2010 08:07:25 -0500

EM has its uses.  It is very slow, but that is only to be expected
considering the amount of network communication required.  And, while I
suppose it may meet the technical definition of GUI (ie, uses a mouse), it
does not meet the more normal definition, that is a windowed interface.   It
makes certain complex tasks easier, such as patch installation and agent
deployment, as well as backup and recovery.  However, it is much slower on
the more basic tasks such as adding space or datafiles.  The default
monitoring configuration monitors much more than is really needed.

The add-ons, such as the sql tuning are fairly useful.  They can take a very
complex query and quickly identify any missing indices and such, the
execution profile is less useful as it often only works for a single case.

Jared Still commented that the Apps pieces were useful for those who are
primary database people, I suspect that the converse is true for those that
are primarily Apps DBA's.  It also makes it possible for the tyros to handle
many of the basic DBA duties without much training, albeit much more slowly
than an experienced DBA.

All in all, I would say that OEM is just another semi-useful tool in the
DBA's tool kit.

--
Andrew W. Kerber