Re: Oracle Enterprise Manager and the 4K block size

  • From: "Rich Jesse" <rjoralist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2010 11:44:24 -0500 (CDT)

Andrew writes:

> Dont forget it is also slow....  Maybe its just me, but its the slowness
> that irritates me the most, and that is probably the item that is least
> likely to be fixed.

Sorry for the late reply!

My OMS and Repository DB reside on a reclaimed screaming Dell desktop single
core 3.2Ghz P-IV with 2GB of RAM running OEL4.  And it surprisingly seems to
perform adequately for this speed freak.

Granted, I'm the only user, but it does currently monitor 34 targets, where
5 of those are Oracle DBs, 6 are servers, 1 is SQueaL Server (via home-grown
plugin to avoid atrocious licensing fees), and the rest are the default
Apache web server, beacon, agents and the like.

I do need to bounce the OMS probably every other month or so when swap usage
hits around 1.5GB.  But the "server" has an uptime of over a year, which is
probably the longest in our server room after an A/C failure some months ago
caused all of the real hardware to do a thermal shutdown.

I guess YMMV.  :)

My probably-pointless $.02,
Rich