Re: Oracle 10g and Standby Database Setup

  • From: "Mark Brinsmead" <pythianbrinsmead@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ronnie_doggart@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2008 21:01:16 -0600

If you can dig it up, you may want to refer to the old Oracle7
documentation.  I am told (although I have never verified personally) that
the old procedures for building a and maintaining an Oracle7 "standby"
database work just fine with Standard Edition.

In its most basic form, at least, all DataGuard does for you is provide a
mechanism to transfer archived redologs and automatically applying them to
the standby.  Providing you are on a UNIX-like platform, neither operation
is particularly hard to script.  You need little more than SSH, SCP,
SQL*plus, and a little imagination.

I have seen one or two such scripted solutions for 9i and 10g Standard
Edition, and they do a very good job of emulating DataGuard in "maximum
performance" mode.  Sadly, they are not mine to share.

--
Cheers,
-- Mark Brinsmead