Re: Oracle 10g and Standby Database Setup

  • From: "Niall Litchfield" <niall.litchfield@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pythianbrinsmead@xxxxxxxxx, ronnie_doggart@xxxxxxxxx, "oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 07:34:54 +0000

That's correct. In fact the Oracle 7 docs were the chief resource that
went into building the standby that became the presentation and
scripts  Jeremy referenced earlier. Things that are worth considering.
 Are you expecting to do switchover or failover? You need to license
the standby. Do your dbas understand standby databases or do they just
know dataguard? What should be your method for detecting and resolving
gaps? How are you going to make the app resilient? Some of these
obviously apply to dataguard as well. I guess in summary I'm saying
that manual standby works just fine technically but there are a bunch
of management and other 'costs' some of which dataguard handles
directly for you. Incidentally I can say that should you ever give a
'you probably don't need ' presentation, having Tom Kyte, the product
manager (Larry Carpenter) and an industry expert (Carel-Jan Engel)
sitting right at the front concentrates the mind wonderfully.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA