RE: Oracle 10g and Standby Database Setup

1) I tend to agree with Jon. They do a lot to prevent you from shooting
yourself in the foot and provide options to tailor the
DG/recoverability/performance tradeoff mode by just choosing options in the
product.
2) If you insist on rolling your own, I'm not aware of any holes in "Getting
the most from your Standby/Reporting Server" by yours truly from 1995.

Good luck.
Consider hiring someone who knows what they are doing to do one for you that
you can copy.
After you price out that option, reconsider the license fees in context.

All that said, if you avoid the classic errors such as not creating new
standby database files before any redo with respect to them is applied and
remember about either force logging or accounting for unlogged operations,
the basic operations are simply recovery. It has worked reliably since at
least 6.0.36.xx. One of my favorite conversations ever with support went
something like this:

Them: We don't support remote recovery systems.
Me: So you're telling me that you do not support physical recovery. Would
you like to explain exactly what it is you do not support before I'm forced
to grant an interview to Computerworld?
Them: Give us a day.
Them: (Actually less than a day later) We fully support the physical
recovery model. However, if you fail to create new files prior to recovery
or use unlogged operations, then a "standby" system may not adhere to the
rules of recovery, so we do not support it completely.
Me: Okay, so as long as I follow the physical recovery model rules and don't
expect you to magically materialize repairs to things I broke, you've got no
problem with supporting the physical recovery model.
Them: Correct. And Bill says hi.

Regards,

mwf