Re: Monitoring software

  • From: Sandra Becker <sbecker6925@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2010 12:49:29 -0600

Some really good input from everyone.  Thank you.  I'll try to address some
of the comments that are relevant to my situation.

   - I know my VP (also my direct supervisor) does read the reports because
   we discuss them at a minimum of every two weeks.  He is an upper level VP
   but has to constantly fight with the VP of Development to get anything
   changed.  My boss did manage to get our development-to-production process
   modified so that all changed and new SQL statements must be reviewed and
   approved by me. That has helped some but I still get a lot of arguments from
   developers.
   - I am not allowed to talk to our customers, only our staff who talk to
   customers.  However, talking to them I do know that these poorly performing
   SQL do impact our customers negatively and at times also cause problems with
   efficient SQL because it can't get the time/resources to run.  I identified
   my top 5 worst performers over a year ago and they still have not been
   addressed.  I'm making another plea for getting this fixed at the next
   executive quarterly meeting and will have some stats to back up my position.
   - Our developers also are primarily Java centric.  I have offered to
   provide training sessions on tuning and best practices as a group or
   one-on-one for the past 4 years.  So far only two have taken me up on my
   offer.  Those two gentlemen are a pleasure to work with and are always
   looking for opportunities to make things better for both of us.  I did have
   one developer tell me it was my job to tune the SQL, not hers.  Her code is
   some of the worst out of all 16 developers.  Go figure.
   - In our case the poorly performing SQL frequently causes problems for
   our customers.  Sometimes to the point that I have to madly kill sessions
   running the statements just to keep everything from crashing.  I had started
   reading about the auto-tune and profiles but have not been able to make much
   headway since I'm currently the only DBA.  Had to let my junior DBA go a few
   weeks ago after my boss said she was causing too many problems.  Took me two
   weeks to clean up the mess she made in 5 of 7 databases while I was on
   vacation.  If anyone knows of a junior or mid-level DBA in the Denver area
   looking for a job, I have an opening!

Sandy
Transzap, Inc.