Re: Monitoring software

  • From: John D Parker <orclwzrd@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Richard.Goulet@xxxxxxxxxxx, oracle-l <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2010 14:24:24 -0700 (PDT)

As Dick says, it's important what you are monitoring and why and for whom. I
work for one of those remote managed services companies that provides
monitoring across the globe across enterprises. Most of these tools are great
when you are inside the firewall next to the db server. Try to report outside a
firewall with any of them and they generally fall flat because the security
folks either won't open that port or won't let that data out. We had to roll
our own if you will and use basic services such as sqlplus, mailx, ftp, scp to
monitor. It's not pretty, but what it produces is.

Just another thought,

John