Re: Monitoring software

  • From: Kellyn Pedersen <kjped1313@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Richard.Goulet@xxxxxxxxxxx, kylelf@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2010 15:31:48 -0700 (PDT)

In complete agreement with Kyle-  I make sure my developers have all the access
to the dictionary/performance views they need to do their jobs efficiently and
send every query I use along with findings so they can work the problem out for
themselves in the future...  Keeping this kind of information to just the DBA's
is foolish when the developers are the ones who really need to know what's
going on under the covers BEFORE it goes to production... :)

Kellyn Pedersen
Sr. Database Administrator
I-Behavior Inc.
http://www.linkedin.com/in/kellynpedersen
www.dbakevlar.blogspot.com

"Go away before I replace you with a very small and efficient shell script..."

Date: Tuesday, June 22, 2010, 2:30 PM

OK, now that someone said the key work, "developers", I'll throw in my biased 2
cents.
The tool I'm working on DB Optimizer is targeted specifically at developers. It
has no install, no agents, just log in and start monitoring. All you need is
select on a few views like v$session  and you get the same kind of easy to
understand graphics as OEM , ie  load graph and drill downs, though faster and
finer grain, than OEM and the overhead is negligible (less than 1% of 1 CPU
generally)

My experience is that developers are left out in the dark on database
performance which is quite a shame since they are the ones writing the code
that puts the load on the database. As a database administrator I was
constantly getting blamed for bad performance by app developers and mainly
because the app developers had no view into the actual performance of the
database. With DB Optimizer they can see for themselves clearly and easily and
if there is anything they don't understand they can show me (or the dba) the
report and then we have something to talk about (instead of blaming and finger
pointing)

DB Optimizer has other features such as a full IDE for SQL with type ahead,
syntax checking, templates etc plus  load testing and SQL tuning. The SQL
tuning isn't monitoring but is the part I'm finding the most interesting and
innovative.

Two recent links  on my blog show the two most interesting features. The visual
SQL tuning
http://db-optimizer.blogspot.com/2010/06/jonathan-lewis-webinar-replay.html
and the load profiling
http://db-optimizer.blogspot.com/2010/06/cursorsharing-picture-is-worth-1000.html
The last link is interesting because I one point I had to get into an argument
with a super smart coder (had actually worked on the Cray back in the day) who
didn't want to use bind variables in his code, so it was nice to be able to
show him the impact graphically of not using bind variables. Graphics just
speak louder than words.

Best Wishes
Kyle Hailey

On Tue, Jun 22, 2010 at 12:47 PM, Goulet, Richard <Richard.Goulet@xxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

OH heck, I guess I'll put in my two cents as well.  The question that you need
to answer before selecting software is what are you trying to monitor, for what
audience, and what privileges in the database will they require.  For us Grid
Control is the monitoring software of choice for the database management group,
but that leaves our developers and managers out in the cold since we don't want
to grant them any privileges, especially in production.  Basically for them we
want a look, but no touch system.  That was not something that I could find on
the open source or other markets, so I built my own based on what the
developers and managers needed.  Yes it's very niche in it's functionality, but
they love it.  It has zero impact on the databases, does not maintain a
connection, does not expose any app data (auditors really like the fact that
the account it's logged into can only see the data dictionary), and being done
in PHP is very easy to
 maintain.  For us, subject closed.

Dick Goulet
Senior Oracle DBA/NA Team Lead