Re: Managing CPU_COUNT for micro-partitioning on AIX

  • From: "Mark Brinsmead" <pythianbrinsmead@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Brandon.Allen@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2006 20:51:58 -0600

Cool.  I now know a lot more than I did before.  Thanks...

Still, in this situation, it would probably be wise to override the CPU
count the OS is reporting to the database.  The OS is obviously lying.  ;-)

Reading the AIX manuals more than the sysadmins do? That sounds all too familiar.

As for not getting "root" passwords, well, that is not uncommon in my
experience.  As a DBA, I have been given "root" passwords very rarely
indeed,
and as a sysadmin, I have provided "root" passwords to others even more
rarely.  There are matters of responsibility and accountability that need to
be respected, after all.  But a sysadmin who disregards (database) tuning
advice from the DBAs (or vice versa) is usually ill advised.  Usually.  ;-)

I do, however, remember times as a sysadmin when I had DBAs adamantly insist
that I must places specific data files on specific "cylinders" and
specific "surfaces" of the 500 or so SCSI disks I was managing.  After
explaining to deaf eafs that neither UNIX nor SCSI really work that way
"ignoring" was the only option I had left.  Sometimes it *is* a good
strategy.  ;-)

On 7/6/06, oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

More interesting output from another cool utility I just found:

/opt/oracle ->mpstat -s

System configuration: lcpu=10 ent=2.5

     Proc0           Proc2           Proc4           Proc6
Proc8
      7.33%           4.80%           1.64%           0.49%
0.19%
cpu0    cpu1    cpu2    cpu3    cpu4    cpu5    cpu6    cpu7    cpu8
cpu9
  5.77%   1.56%   3.90%   0.90%   1.21%   0.43%   0.31%   0.17%   0.11%
0.07%

consent to Internet email for messages of this kind. Opinions, conclusions
business of this company shall be understood as neither given nor endorsed
by it.

Cheers,
-- Mark Brinsmead
  Staff DBA,