Re: Managing CPU_COUNT for micro-partitioning on AIX

The same way on HP Superdomes and we never had problems with that. I
guess the only thing is that Oracle must be linked correctly in the
beginning. For Linux, I think that should be using SMP kernel.

2006/7/4, Allen, Brandon <Brandon.Allen@xxxxxxxxxxx>:

We're running 10.2.0.2 on AIX 5.3 with LPARs and my Unix admins threw in a
few extra tenths of a CPU in our production environment without even giving
me any advanced notice, which I wasn't too happy about considering we hadn't
even tested it, but Oracle seemed to handle it without any problems and
cpu_count magically went up from 8 to 10.  Honestly, I'm not even sure how
many tenths of physical CPUs I'm running on.  All I know is what it looks
like according to topas, vmstat, sar and Oracle, which are all in agreement
that there were 8, and are now 10, virtual/logical CPUs, but I don't really
know exactly how it's configured behind the scenes other than that there are
really only 4 multi-core CPUs in the box.  My Unix admins like to keep me in
the dark as much as possible so I don't ask too many questions.  You'll
notice when you run the AIX 5.3 performance utilities there are metrics
called ent and entc% or something like that - can't remember for sure off
the top of my head, but these represent the number of virtual CPUs your LPAR
is entitled to, and the % of your entitlement you are consuming.

Regards,
Brandon

consent to Internet email for messages of this kind. Opinions, conclusions
business of this company shall be understood as neither given nor endorsed
by it.

--
Best regards,
Alex Gorbachev