Re: Hibernate and Oracle

  • From: "Keith Moore" <kmoore@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: alberto.dellera@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2007 15:36:14 -0600 (CST)

> 10046 trace is your friend when trying to tune hibernate apps.

That was my experience. Also statspack.

When I worked on a project using Hibernate, it generated lots of realy ugly
queries, often joining 30 or 40 tables. If a web page required data from
several tables, it would try to get all the data in a single query, even if
there were many intermediate tables. If it could find a relationship, no
matter how remote, it was going to use it.

After tracing, I pointed out these monster queries to the developers and
sometimes they would  make changes to the Hibernate configuration and that
would help. In other cases, there is a way for the developers to override
Hibernate and manually create the SQL. The developers didn't like doing this,
except as a last resort.

I'm not a fan of Hibernate, but it is a way for Developers that do not
understand SQL to write database applications.

Keith