RE: Hibernate and Oracle

  • From: "Robert Freeman" <robertgfreeman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2007 10:10:43 -0700

In fact, I'm doing a presentation at Collaborate about agile and database
design and changing the way we work.... I'll include some discussion about
Hibernate because that is what we are using too.

I've found that some of the SQL is indeed crazy, but I've also got some
developers here that know their stuff and they know Hibernate. Really isn't
that key to anything? I mean, take a SQL Server DBA who is just figuring out
Oracle. Is this person really going to know how to tweak this thing for
performance? Probably not.

That is, in fact, a problem I think is inherent with this rapidly changing
development landscape. Stuff is changing so fast, new persistence layers,
new development languages and approaches. My goodness, how does anyone ever
really become an expert, keep up, and use the best product available?

We changed our approach to modeling by allowing them to design their classes
and generate database DDL based on those classes. I'll admit that I was not
100% happy with that change, and the DDL generated had a lot of problems and
we made a lot of changes (mostly naming, adding FK's, NULL requirements,
indexes and so on). We found that model was not far from what we modeled at
the outset, but it really seemed to eliminate some of the initial
object/database confusion that follows Java to Physical design around. The
Jury is still out on this approach as far as I'm concerned, but I have been
moved to believe that it's not a stupid thing.

Also..... IMHO anyone who is doing any new development on a system < 10g and
trying to use RBO is asking for a performance nightmare... :-)

Cheers!

RF