RE: Easy way to copy databases when using RMAN?

  • From: "Hand, Michael T" <HANDM@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 May 2004 10:42:34 -0400

The following is from 8/8i.  Don't know of things have changed in 9i and
have no database to test against.

Changing the Dbid of copied database: Ron Yount from the Oracle-L provided
the following steps if it becomes necessary to change the Dbid of a copied
database to allow an RMAN catalog to backup both source and target database.
This should occur at the tail of the SAP Database Copy procedure.
[Tested successfully on XXX database refresh 5/13/02]

Use sqlplus to connect internal (if using sqlplus comment # must be changed
to 'rem' or '--')
SQL> startup nomount
SQL> @c.sql                     /* script to recreate controlfile */
SQL> select name,dbid from v$database. (There should be a new name, but same
dbid from step 3)
SQL> shutdown normal
SQL> startup mount
SQL> exec dbms_backup_restore.zeroDbid(0);
SQL> shutdown normal
Rename the control files from the new instance, so they will appear to be
missing.
SQL> startup nomount
SQL> @c.sql
SQL> alter database open resetlogs;
SQL> select name, dbid from v$database.  (There should be the new name, and
new dbid)