Re: Do APEX-installed packages include business logic?

  • From: Yong Huang <yong321@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: chet justice <chet.justice@xxxxxxxxx>, Bill Ferguson <wbfergus@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 07:32:27 -0700 (PDT)

Thanks again.
Now as I think of it, my concern is more about maintainability than
having business logic in the database. Development tools tightly
integrated with the database often have two features in this regard:
(1) Genarated code is over-engineered; (2) Code is difficult to
troubleshoot without the tool. The two features are related. If
somebody knows the tool, he doesn't need to dig into the PL/SQL code
shown in dba_source, and he won't care and can't tell the code is
over-engineered (from the raw PL/SQL perspective). The problem is
that these tools, Designer, Forms, etc, and the developers using them,
come and go, like clouds in the sky. What stays forever is the RDBMS
engine, SQL, and PL/SQL. Our DBA team has three former developers,
covering skills in half a dozen languages. But all are proficient in
writing code only with Notepad or vi. If either our APEX developers quit
or Oracle obsoletes this technology, there'll be some business impact
when a user reports a problem. But if the code is completely in the
midtier app server, or (slightly less desired) hand-written and stored
as PL/SQL, it's easier for anybody to troubleshoot. (The latter case
is like my 1997 experience. I was on a team writing thousands of lines
of PL/SQL with vi. No extra code is needed. Even the custom-built
utility package only needs to provide functions that are needed.)

Yong Huang