Re: Do APEX-installed packages include business logic?

  • From: chet justice <chet.justice@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: yong321@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2009 16:28:16 -0400

Yong,

You should not have to go through that much trouble (yikes) with APEX.

For each application, there is a report that allows you to compute all the
database object dependencies.  That report allows you to easily identify
where a certain package call.

I have no experience with Designer, so I can't really compare...APEX is
PL/SQL based.  Errors thrown at the application level (if not caught by a
developer's WHEN OTHERS) will bubble to the interface (web page).

I've typically used APEX as a presentation layer only, in other words,
calling existing procedures/functions.  You can however create things like
multi-record table INSERTs using the tool (it was originally marketing as a
Microsoft Access killer), but I've found that it's pretty easy to dig
through.  The "application" is just a SQL file that can be (if necessary)
run from SQL*Plus, though it's typically loaded through the interface.

It's a very powerful and robust tool.

Hope this helps.

chet

--