Do APEX-installed packages include business logic?

  • From: Yong Huang <yong321@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2009 12:41:30 -0700 (PDT)

One of our clients is interested in using Oracle Application Express on
our 10.2.0.4 database. We haven't installed it. There's a concern in our
DBA team that the APEX installed packages could include business logic,
much like Oracle Designer does. Our Designer application was written
many years ago and nobody here knows that tool. When the app fails, DBAs
have to inject utl_file.put_line in many places in the spaghetti code,
starting from the package whose name is visible in the user's browser
URL. In the past few years, we always succeeded in narrowing down to
the exact package and line that broke, but it's a laborious process.
Does APEX install packages that have site-specific procedures and logic
as Designer does?

Yong Huang