Data Guard question.

  • From: "Ron Rogers" <RROGERS@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 May 2005 15:37:12 -0400

List,
 I have been looking into using Data Guard as a method of providing HA is =
the company decides it is an option they want to invest in.
 The question that I have are.
1. Using a physical database as the Data Guard, does the second server =
have to have the exact same physical equipment for the disks or does it =
just have to be the same directory structure?  The reason I am asking is =
the production server has a SAN that I use as /U03 mount point where the =
archivelogs and a controlfile are kept. I can not get another SAN for the =
standby server but would like to use a SCSI box with the same mount point =
but different disk size.
2. Currently I use RMAN nocatalog mode for the backups of the production =
database to disk. It appears from what I have read the when I use RMAN and =
Data Guard I have to use a catalog. IS this a true fact? Can you point to =
a doc that clears this question up?

Thanks,
Ron Rogers
DBA Linux SYSadmin