Re: 10g RAC without vendor clusterware

  • From: mhthomas <qnxodba@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Koen Van Langenhove <Koen.Van_Langenhove@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 11:51:26 -0500

Hi,

I'm too busy to properly respond but here are a couple answers.

1) This is a great article, and everyone needs to read it. Jared wrote
important stuff about ASM and its helpful. See:
http://www.dbazine.com/OLC/still.shtml

2) In a small shop, e.g. Standard Edition with RAC/ASM, its likely
there are recovery, standby, test scenarios that would be non-RAC and
also benefit from datafiles on a traditional file system. I think the
ASM claim-to-fame is managing a group of disks, e.g. what if you don't
have a such a disk group in one of your scenarios?

In our case we have a server configured as emergency recovery and its
non-RAC and non-ASM. Its non-trivial to edit init files and requires a
complex set of RMAN recovery tasks from our tape libraries.

Other examples include moving files in/out of ASM in various
scenarios. One case might be to test the show-stopper ASMLib I/O
performance bug (Still not fixed? Anyone working on it at Oracle or is
it all acquisitions and outsourcing these days?) you get with ASM and
run the same database with/without ASM for testing. I'm still working
on other cases to eliminate single point of failure in one of our
systems that would cause data loss if Murphy strikes. You can search
the web and find quite a few other scenarios of people going ASM to
non-ASM and vice versa.

Regards,

Mike Thomas