Re: 10g RAC without vendor clusterware

  • From: Koen Van Langenhove <Koen.Van_Langenhove@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Alexander Gorbachev <gorbyx@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2005 12:09:45 +0100

Hi Alex,
looks like you're a little pessimistic about the ASM  instance.  Would
you care telling us why ? It's just another instance, why would be it be
less reliable than the 'real' instances ? Apart from the fact that's it
is a relatively new feature of course, because the same goes for any
other new major version of a regular volume manager.

I know we will be missing a lot features of regular clusterware and
volume managers, but in this case we really don't need any of them. I
really like products like Sun Cluster and VxVM, but there's a lot to be
said in favor of a cluster with software from only one vendor, which is
a lot simpler to setup, maintain, troubleshoot and last but not least:
way cheaper.

BTW it's certainly not the definitive test, but I just killed the ASM
instance of the second node, and CRS managed to restart ASM and the
other instances nicely.

Regards,
Koen

--