Re: 10g RAC without vendor clusterware

  • From: Alexander Gorbachev <gorbyx@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Koen Van Langenhove <Koen.Van_Langenhove@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2005 23:49:32 +0100

Hi Koen,

See below...

On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 12:09:45 +0100, Koen Van Langenhove
<Koen.Van_Langenhove@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Alex,
> looks like you're a little pessimistic about the ASM  instance.  Would
> you care telling us why ? It's just another instance, why would be it be
> less reliable than the 'real' instances ?
Exactly. It's probably not less reliable but I don't see why it would
be MORE reliable and that what I would demand. My perception is that
clusterware is normally more reliable than Oracle database.

> BTW it's certainly not the definitive test, but I just killed the ASM
> instance of the second node, and CRS managed to restart ASM and the
>other instances nicely.
The key word is RESTARTED.
Imagine that you need to install a new patchset for your ASM instance
or one-off patch. All you DBs will have to be down during that time.
we can't afford it.

--
Best regards,
Alex Gorbachev