Re: 10g RAC -- Multiple DB's and mixed OS

  • From: Mogens Nørrgaard <mln@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 08 Apr 2006 01:29:35 +0200

Sorry if I sounded self-contradicting. That wasn't the intention. Let me clarify that I'm not anti-Linux, I'm not anti-Microsoft, anti-Oracle or anti-RAC - I'm for the customers.

When I consider what's best for a given customer, I often will say Windows because it's easier for them to hire qualified people. Doesn't matter if we're talking Unix, VMS or Linux. It's harder to come by SA's for them. Which is why users of these systems many times end up outsourcing to the three-letter monsters so they can be sure there's somebody there who can manage their old-school system (Unix, VMS) or new-school system (Linux). And then they're hosed.

You can say that Microsoft is a monopoly. Strictly speaking (as someone who studied Economics for three years), it might be in certain areas, but they're few. Dominant in several areas, oh yes.

But isn't Linux trying hard to become a monopoly? They use ideology constantly to try to kill the competition (Microsoft), and they make pirate (free) copies of many of the competitors products. How cool is that?! Just because a lot of people are working for free doesn't mean they're Doing Good. Lot's of people are working for free in very weird political organisations, but I don't consider their causes good. Free is not Good by design.

Isn't Linus about as dominant as Gates? Why on Earth did he not want a decent scheduler in Linux for so long? That's just something Windows HAD to have as per requests from large clients. He might not want to be viewed as dominant, but people will try to interpret his every word and move and treat him like a demi-god.

Now, what would happen if the US Government or the EU decided that Linux had a too dominating position on the market? Who should they take to court? Can the Linux community be held accountable for their actions if they do something which is not in the interest of the customer/user?

What if Linux was hit by a wave of very serious security attacks (succesful, too) but nobody in the community wanted to fix the code? Who could force them to shut down development of new stuff for a couple of months while they focused on the security issues?

Mogens

Leandro Guimaraes Faria C. Dutra wrote:

oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx gravou em 2006-04-07 15:27:29:

       You sound self-contradicting.

If it doesn't matter, really, why help perpetuate the monopoly? Why foster the use of black boxen?

-- //www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l