[optacon-l] Re: reading computer screens

  • From: "Dan and Bonnie Tonge" <dandbtonge@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <optacon-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Apr 2009 10:36:42 -0700

When I first started with the IRS in 1983, I said that I would have a hard time
reading pages and pages of material, but that I could read the "glossaries"
which was Wang's term for what was in WordPerfect macros.  I could also check
when I thought I had made an error.  At that time, I was pretty good at
realizing when my hands had done the wrong thing, but now I sure do rely on
Spellcheck.  You are right--I could NEVER have done that job or gotten hired
without the Optacon.  I used it constantly.  On the Wang, you had to know which
document number it gave you for each document you did.  When I asked about any
other thing such as speech access, I was told there wasn't any, and that Wang
was so big and we were such a small minority that they really didn't care if it
were accessible to us or not (frown).  When many years later I worked at the
Lighthouse for the Blind in Seattle, my job was transcribing things onto tape
or Braille, sometimes from printed things from other departments and sometimes
from the e-documents of others.  The Optacon was essential to me in catching
errors on phone lists from reception and figuring out how columns were really
supposed to look.  When I started that job, I called ACB to find out if they
knew where I could get another Optacon so I could have one dedicated to work.
They said I just happened to call at the right time because they had a shipment
from New York school system I think it was.  It was so wonderful.  That was in
2000.  At that time, my Optacon II still worked, but I got to leave it at home
where I also used it constantly.  I had to use it to read the digital display
on my oven (one which I never would have bought for myself but which was
already in the condominium I had).  I was also still in the heyday of
programming my VCR, but this time for catching radio programs, such as old
radio shows at night when I didn't want to stay up all night to listen.  I said
in reference to calling ACB that I just happened to call at the right time.  I
think this is one of those cases where the Lord guided my hand.  I would have
been far less proficient at that job without the Optacon.  What a marvelous
piece of equipment.

Dan